Your Oyster Recipe of the Day: Grilled Oysters with Smoked Sausage Slaw. Chef George Reis of Ocean and 5 Point Public House Oyster Bar created this recipe especially for tailgating! He grills oysters with Parmesan and butter for a few minutes. After removing them from the heat and adds a cabbage slaw made with beer mustard and diced Conecuh sausage, then tops them with crushed potato chips. Fun and yummy!
Grilled Oysters with Smoked Sausage Slaw
- 12 oysters (keep on ice)
- Shredded cabbage (red and green)
- Shredded carrot
- Diced and browned smoked sausage (George uses Conecuh)
- 3 tablespoons of beer mustard
- 1 stick of butter
- Parmesan cheese
- Potato chips
- Combine cabbage, carrot, diced Conecuh sausage, and beer mustard. Mix until vegetables and sausage are coated.
- Combine room temperature butter and parmesan cheese.
- Shuck oysters then place on a hot grill while still in their shells. While the oysters are grilled, spoon the butter and parmesan mixture onto the oysters. Grill for 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Top oysters with slaw.
- Crumble potato chips and sprinkle atop the oysters.
TIP: If you’re grilling these at the game, brown your sausage and prep the slaw the day before.
About George Reis
Chef George Reis owns Birmingham’s 5 Point Public House Oyster Bar and Ocean restaurant. Reis won the first Alabama Seafood Cook-Off and represented the state in the national 2015 Great American Seafood Cook-Off. Ocean is one of Birmingham’s most recognized restaurants, winning multiple awards including Best Chef and Best Restaurant, not to mention a regular winner of the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator and Winner of the AAA Four Diamond award.